Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fund Raising


Just a note up front...this topic is very embarrasing for me because I don't like asking people for help, especially with something I feel like we should be able to do on our own. As I said in a previous post, we did pay off our debt and save up just over $10,000 for the adoption. Unfortunately, adoption costs for Ethiopia are around $27,000. We took out a loan to cover the rest (hopefully my husband doesn't mind me sharing this...) but I am starting to think it will be more feasible to try and raise the funds so we can pay off the loan. I hate debt!
Now, I realize it may seem like I am a walking contradiction considering we just bought a house. So I am going to lay out the details in order to bring more clarity to our financial situation. I am a veteran, so I qualify for the VA home loan which means we don't make a down payment, don't pay mortgage insurance, and we aren't paying closing costs. So basically, we are using the Basic Housing Allowance alotted to us by the Army to go towards a home instead of rent. Look at it this way...instead of paying $52,800 in rent over the next four years, we will be putting it towards our first home. That's right! We finally bought our first home after 7 years of marriage. Hooray!
Anyway, the point of this post is to let my family and friends know that we are going to start doing some fundraising to help get rid of our adoption debt. I need some help with ideas though...like I said, I get embarrassed by asking for help and I am not very good at thinking up effective fundraising ideas. I have researched what some other adopting families have done and mostly I have seen adoption t-shirt sales. What do you think...is that a good idea?? The picture above shows fabric outlines of Africa with the heart over the country of Ethiopia. I was thinking about using a cute stitch to sew then onto t-shirts or shoulder bags or something. I also thought about making a template to spray paint Africa onto shirts or allowing the boys to use fabric paint and paint Africa on. At the very least I need to make shirts for myself and my fam. Gotta represent!
Below is a breakdown of our adoption expenses as it was given to us by our agency:
Home Study - $1500
Home Study Update - $800
Application Fee - $600
CHI Agency Fees - $7000
Ethiopia Program Fee - $9000
Post Adoption Report - $500
Adoption Education - $120
USCIS Filing Fee/Fingerprints - $860
Passports - $194
Ethiopia Visas - $130
Document Authentication - $250
Round-trip Airfare (2 Adults, 2 trips) - $7200
Child's one-way Airfare - approx. $800
In-country transportation costs - $420
Medical for Child's visa - $80
1st Trip in Country (guide, food, lodging) - $800-2700
2nd Trip in Country (guide, food, lodging) - $1350-2700
Child's US Visa - $400
Okay, so I was waaayyyyy off. The low-end of those numbers is a grand total of $32,000. The high end is $35,250. We are looking to adopt one child but if she has a sibling we have also been approved for a second child. If we do end up adopting two children, our total expenses will be approximately $39,280 - $42,530. Annnnnnd, that is why I have decided to try and do some fundraising. Have any good ideas?? PLEASE!! Send them my way!

5 comments:

  1. By the way, if I doesn't make sense that I was so far off from thinking it was $27,000 to the agency estimate of $32,000, I just checked and their expense list was revised in February 2011. The last time I looked at it was probably March of 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren - a friend purchased a beaded bracelet made by a family that was adopting a child from Russia - it has an angel charm on it and I think they sold for $15 each - they are great and seem fairly easy to make and I'm sure the boys could help out - I can send a pic if you want. You might try and ask friends and possibly craft stores if they could donate the beads and wire.

    We are excited for your family and know if it's in God's plan all will work out.

    Love you! Aunt Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW - can you enlarge your font it is real hard to read for us with "old" eyes!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Thank you for the feedback, I will make the font bigger. I love you too Kelly! And Doug too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the braclet idea and the t-shirts. I'll keep my eyes open for other ideas.

    ReplyDelete